8.22.2005

Scooters!

Yeah, I said it. Scooters. Think about it. You are in a foreign country and you understand little of what people are telling you. People drive like crazed lunatics over cobble stoned streets. There appear to be no laws. There are few visible signs on the street. Good place to rent a scooter, huh? Exactly.

Now, only my family knows that when I was younger (Not sure how much younger, although I do know it was well before I turned 16) I rented and wrecked a scooter in Cancun, Mexico. That event deserves a blog entry, but there is no time for that now. Just know that I still have a scar from where my shin hit a wall. Regardless of this history, I decided that it was about time for me to try the scooter riding in foreign countries one more time.

When Mike and I were in Los Perros, we learned that we could rent scooters for 20 nuevo soles, or about 6 US dollars, per hour. So we went with Juan up the street to a locked door that had 4 scooters behind it. He had us sign our second dubiously enforceable waiver of the trip:


What follows was a trip that was crazy to say the least. We traveled 32 kilometers on what anyone would say were QUESTIONABLE bikes. My speedometer was fixed at 45 kilometers per hour, even when stopped; Mike´s fuel gauge was worked sporadicly and randomly. We went all the way to Pisaq, the next town north of Cusco. Along the way we drove over a mountain pass, through 1 small community and 3 really small communities, past farms, by sheep and cattle herders (I saw two people use a strange method of herding cattle: throwing rocks at them), and finally, by an alpaca farm.


We also saw the ruins at Saqsaywaman (the largest Incan ruin near Cusco), Qenqo (an ancient amphitheatre), Puca Pucara (another fortress that shines red at sunset), and Tambomachay (an ancient resting and bathing place that still has running fountains).



What struck me was that we passed through some extremely rural areas, even though we were near a top tourist spot for the country. Away from tour guides, and on our own, we were able to observe people as they live their lives. We saw people herding cattle, farming, and selling goods in a small local market. They noticed us as we buzzed through, but did not have to acknowledge us unless they wished to sell us something.


Trekking on the hazardous road over the mountain pass was worth it, though, because we saw why they call it the "Sacred Valley."



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, what a time. Jim has headed to Western KY again - I chose not to go this time - too much driving and travelling coming up. Plus I have much to do to get ready for our own big adventure, which is coming up quickly. Wonderful pictures. Get Mike to take a few of you, please. Hi, Mike. Love to you both -

Anonymous said...

Wow... nice pics. Sorry I've missed so many posts. I'm up to date now and must say I'm jealous of your trip already.

As an aside, if you plan on riding any more scooters you should stay away from walls. And if you do happen to hit a wall, try not to motor on through it. That's what the brake is for.

Anonymous said...

Cusco looks spectacular and I am SO VERY jealous! Your photos are beautiful - I'm really enjoying them. Keep em coming...

Anonymous said...

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Anonymous said...

man. it looks like you guys are enjoyin the peru on the reals. i totally forgot about people herding cattle through rock throwing. you hittin the picchu?
you better. sounds like you're seein' a lot in the ole valle sagrada, which is awesome. btw, there is an albergue (nice lodging) by the train station in ollantaytambo that is really nice and cheap, has a eucalyptus sauna, good beds, and actual coffee (not nescafe)and tasty gringo-style breakfast. I fondly remember banana french toast. I'm pretty sure the lady who runs it is named wendy weeks. beautiful stuff. live it up, man.