8.22.2005

Food in Peru

Ordering mistake. That is really the only phrase that can describe the amazing amount of meat that Mike and I ordered last night. We got into Cusco at about 4PM. We both felt real weird because we had not slept much the night before (What? You doubted that the gang would go out on their last night together?) and because Cusco is at an elevation of eleven thousand feet. So we took a little nap before dinner.

Now, like Argentina, Peru does not mess around when it comes to meat. Mike and I decided to go to a typical barbecue place. I guess we deserved to get this much food because we failed to ask if it was enough for eight:



What you see before you is ONE item on the menu. We each ate a T-bone steak and a chicken breast, and I did my best to finish a pork chop. I also tried the cow heart (I tried cow kidney in Buenos Aires and decided that, having had the experience, I did not have to try it again). After we were done, there was still a T-bone, a pork chop, five pieces of sausage, the cow kidney, and the cow heart save the small bite I took. Meat hang-over. Oh, dinner cost about thirty dollars.

Today, Mike and I found a small restaurant/bar called Los Perros ("The Dogs" for you non-Spanish speakers) and have had great food: fried potato skins with sour cream and tomato chutney dipping sauces, tomato oregano soup, pumpkin curry soup, and a grilled chicken breast with a peanut sesame sauce served over mashed potatoes and with an onion and lemongrass salad.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

If you don't mind, I would like to make an editorial comment. I would be delighted if you made a caption for your "carne con swine" dinner (yea, that's my own invention) that exclaimed, "NO ME DIGAS!" Because I shit you not, that's the first thing that came into my head when I saw the picture. That is all.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, that Perros bar is one of the best bar-restaurants I´ve ever been to. If you are ever in Cusco, make sure to go.