6.29.2007

Zanzibar Beach Time


I'm sitting in the airport in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, waiting for my flight to Johannesburg where I will meet up with a hopefully-recuperated Jake Foster, to spend a couple of nights before I fly back to Washington, D.C. The last three days I have been at the beach, on the north shore of Zanzibar, in an area called Kendwa. Similarly off the beaten path to previously blogged-about spots Railey Beach, which required wading into the water to a rickety water taxi to access, and Thong Nai Pan Noi, Koh Phangan, which required an hour-long minivan ride over hilly, ridged dirt roads, Kendwa is easily one of the most remote beach locations I've traveled to. To get there you have to take a car from Zanzibar Town about an hour over a thin and potholed road as bicycles, motorbikes, trucks, and other cars fight for position, and then over a rocky, unpaved road that seemed impassible in the minivan in which we were riding. Luckily, Kendwa has the same strange island atmosphere, remote feel, and abundant fresh fruit and seafood present at both the aforementioned spots.

Only Alex and I made this trip up north, because, as previously mentioned, Jake went home early and has been diagnosed with tonsillitis, and Liz and Koushik decided to head their own way, to a different beach area of Zanzibar. It's hard to blame them, considering they have been traveling with some combination of Jake, Alex, and myself the whole time they have been in Africa, which is not very romantic, I guess.

I've done basically nothing for the last three days, save for sitting and sleeping on the beach, lounging in hammocks, playing a little sand soccer, watching sunsets, eating seafood, and walking from budget resort to budget resort to talk to the different international friends Alex and I made while there. For lack of any news, here's some photos from the beach:



No comments: