To say that it was hit hard by the tsunami that came ten months ago would be a dramatic understatement. I cannot describe it. It looks like there was an enormous explosion all over the island. I have constant thoughts of what happened and what it must have been like to be here because everywhere I look there are remnants of the destruction. In many ways, this island is still coming to grips with it, not returning to its normal life. Life here will always be changed, and the landscape and architecture of the buildings here will always reflect the tragedy.
I don't think that pictures will capture the situation; the full scope of the devastation includes not only images but the smells of construction and lasting sewage problems and the interactions with people who were here and survived the disaster.
Above is a picture that shows a little of what I am writing about.
No comments:
Post a Comment