9.12.2005

Ha Long Bay


Sorry for the delay in posting. Surprisingly, cheap internet access is hard to come by in Hong Kong. Well, economical anything is difficult to come by in Hong Kong, but more on that in a future post. For now I thought I would put up a couple of pictures of Ha Long Bay. For those unfamiliar with the area, the wikipedia entry on it gives a pretty good crash course. Basically, it is a large bay littered with limestone islands that jut straight out of the water, creating some of the most radical topography I have ever seen. It's a UNESCO World Heritage Preservation Area, so that's cool. We ate lunch on a boat that took us around the bay, explored a couple of limestone caves that were surprisingly similar to Mammoth Cave (Kentucky represents, per usual), and checked out some small fishing communities in the area. We took a bus three and a half hours from Hanoi to get there, and it was completely worth the journey. Next time I'll stay on the overnight boat. Roll the pics!


Ezra and I split up in Hanoi, where I boarded a plane to come to Hong Kong. It was good to travel with him for almost 2 weeks in Vietnam; I feel like we got to know each other really well, and in a different capacity than ever before.

No comments: